Saturday 7 December 2013

I wish it could be Christmas everyday (1973)






My parents "did" Christmas until I was 8 years old but the second that I decided I didn't believe in Santa any more my parents stopped as my mum found it too stressful so I decamped to my friends' house across the road. 






If you were born in or around 1968, like me, then you probably can't remember a time when Christmas wasn't accompanied by two songs “I wish it could be Christmas every day” by the Wizzards and “Merry Xmas Everybody” by Slade. Both of these songs were part of the soundtrack to Christmas 1973. 

And were your decorations homemade too? Every year I couldn't wait to start making my Blue Peter Christmas hanger decoration. It was supposed to look like this -





I was convinced mine looked like this - 



But the reality is it probably looked like this - 




I'm of an age where the internet still continues to surprise and amaze me. This wonderful site is a treasure trove of information - www.ctva.biz . After present opening, church and lunch, I can tell you with some certainty that I probably watched the following programmes on BBC1 in black and white as we didn't get colour TV in Jersey until 1976.

Here is the television in 1968 with me in front. We kept this TV until we rented a colour one in 1976. 





3:00pm The Queen Speaks to the Commonwealth

3:15pm Billy Smart's Christmas Circus

4:20pm Pantomime: Robin Hood with Terry Scott, Hugh Lloyd, Freddie Davies, Anita Harris, Billy Dainty, Dana

5:55pm News

6:05pm Bruce Forsyth and The Generation Game

7:05pm The Mike Yarwood Christmas Show

7:35pm The Morecambe and Wise Christmas Show


  


Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody" was the UK Christmas Number One in December 1973, beating the Wizzard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday", which got to number 4. It eventually reached No. 1 in mid-January and stayed in the UK Singles Chart until mid February 1974.


The hanger decoration can be found at "your vintage life blog"

No comments: